Weed Lumber Company, Weed, Siskiyou, California, USA, 41.382500,-122.379444

In 1897 Abner Weed, of Maine, an entrepreneur, bought a mill (known as Mill No.1) and 280 acres of land west of Mt. Shasta and north of Black Butte. In 1901 he started the Weed

Lumber Co. and, and gave birth to the town of Weed. By 1902 he purchased a second mill (known as Mill No. 2) in Truckee and had it moved and placed beside his first mill.

Between both mills the Weed Lumber Co. produced 60,000 feet of lumber a day. The mills were operated as a family business for three years before Weed created a corporation,

with R. A. Long, of Long Bell Lumber Company, being a major shareholder. Four Years after it’s founding, in 1905, the Long-Bell Lumber Co. out of Kansas bought out Abner

Weed's share in the Weed Lumber Co. for an estimated two million dollars. Long-Bell’s operation was to define the term "company town", most of the people lived in homes on “company land”, and it was said that if you didn’t shop at the company store, they would fire you. The company furnished employment and housing for its workers, and also provided mercantile goods and social services until around 1942. Long Bell began building a new mill in 1917, which was to be more efficient than the two mills before, After its completion in 1918 the new mill produced over 250,000 board feet of lumber per eight-hour work shift.. In 1919 the first two mills burned down as they were being dismantled.To protect its newly constructed mill, Long Bell built a new firehouse in 1923, bought a new American La France fire engine and hired seven firemen from one of their plants in the south. Long Bell operated an extensive rail network throughout the northeast corner of Siskiyou County and into western Modoc County. In 1926 Long Bell changed the name of its mill from the original Weed Lumber Company to Long Bell Lumber Company. In 1956 it’s name was changed once again as International Paper Company took over the operation and later closed its plant without warning in May of 1981. The peak of Weed’s lumber industry was in the 1940s and '50s . Long-Bell operated a McGiffert loader at it’s Weed operation; this particular loader is now on display at the Collier Logging Museum in Oregon. In the 1920's Long Bell Lumber Company closed two of its Louisiana mills, one in Longville and the other in De Ridder. When these mills closed in 1922, the company offered to advance transportation money to workers and to guarantee company housing and employment if they agreed to relocate to Weed. When Black workers arrived in 1922 and 1923, company housing was made available for them in one section on the northwest end of town. Although there is no record of the exact number of persons who came to Weed in the early 1920s, either from Long Bell's two Louisiana operations or through other personaL contacts, the United States Census shows that Siskiyou County's Black population increased from 447 in 1920 to 541 in 1930.