Castelsilano, Catanzaro, Calabria, Italy, 39.271667,16.769167
The foundation of Castelsilano dates back to a relatively recent time. The annals tell, in fact, that it began the year 1685 when Scipione Rota, Prince of Acherontia decided on the construction of a fortified structure to rest during his long hunting expeditions and as a place to stay during the summer months. The surrounding area around these fortified houses was built gradually. Called by the name Castrum Casini originally, it became a municipality under the name of Casino on 14 August 1811 by decree of Joachim Murat.
In 1916 the town passed from the Province of Cosenza that of Catanzaro. The name was changed from Casino to Castelsilano in June 1950 by decree of President of the Republic Einaudi, after a petition supported by some popular young intellectuals of the time. Starting in 1994, following the establishment of five new provinces, Castelsilano became part of the 27 municipalities in the province of Crotone.